23 February, 2015

Greatest Hits

You might remember the 2005 "Daxueshan" from Shuangjiang Mengku.  I liked it, back when it was $30.  You just cannot (cannot!) argue with prices like that.  I recall that Apache and I didn't argue with prices like that, when we got our collective purchase on.

These days, Dubs is selling it for $70.  You might like to give it a try - that price is looking very nice, for the sheer density of trouser that is on offer here.




Now, in 2014, it is sweet and honey-like.  (I'm talking about the Dubs version here, by the way, not my own English-storage version.)  I love the storage characteristics of this cake, where it is both sharp and mouth-watering, in a fine manner.  It is pungent, long-lasting, and I love it.  I don't think it's possible to have too much of this cake - it'll always go down well.

"Greatest Hits" indeed, and not one to pass by.  What was straightforward power back in the day has mellowed into a depth and complexity that far exceeds the asking price.



I had to Google the name of this cake: the 2014 "Apple Scruffs", also from Dubs.




It turns out that this is the name of an album (of course), from George Harrison, which refers to the post-Beatles groupies who pretty much stalked the ex-members of the group.  I haven't heard the George Harrison album, but feel as if I have a good idea of its qualities, based on the other albums that have been turned into cakes by twodog of Dubs.




The picture below might give you some idea as to the time of year that I sunk this sample.




This is an autumnal cake.  I am aware that I usually employ that phrase in the same way that one might say "he's got a nice personality", but, in this case, it all seems to work.  The maocha comes from the Xigui area of Lincang.  I am loving the Lincang, longtime, as I seem to say fairly regularly.

This cake had everything going in its favour: at the time of drinking, I had just finished the week-long admissions exercise, in which almost all members of faculty have to set aside their work and interview prospective candidates for our undergraduate degrees.  It's a huge undertaking, and gets lots of (well-deserved) scrutiny from the press, to ensure that we're doing our jobs and not simply admitting our friends / donors / etc.  After that week, there is a few sweet days before Christmas lands.  Apple Scruffs arrived in that perfect hour, after hard work and before the holidays.




As with many good Lincang cakes, we have yellow-orange (autumnal coloured?) tea which is both fresh and very fruity.  It is very decent quality, although my diary notes that "this is very good, but I have several like it".  If you're looking for solid drink-it-now Lincang, Apple Scruff is $45/200g and looking decidedly reliable.




The Gentlest Sound




the gentlest sound
drenched by an April shower
of apple blossom

3 comments:

Hobbes said...

I did enjoy the experience that led to this haiku, one spring: the sudden, muted, carpet-thick silence of being dumped on by a huge "blizzard" of heavy blossoms.

Like snow, but sweet. Quite charming, and entirely memorable...


Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Petr Novák said...

Shuanjiang cake in my tea cabinet is disapearing too far too quickly. So I went back to TwoDog and, well, it is sold out. As our Jan Neruda said "Kdo chvíli stál, již stojí opodál" (Who has stalled just for a while, already is staying aside)

Hobbes said...

Likewise. Shuangjiang Mengku of a certain era is something that is low-risk and high-awesome. I need more!